when is coaching right? when is therapy right?
There are actually quite a few differences that you should keep in mind when thinking about what will be most supportive for you.
To put it simply, coaching is much more current and future oriented. Coaching is proactive, so there will always be invitations to take action on your realizations and insights. In your coaching process, there will be some time spent exploring the events, learnings and challenges from your past, but the process will not linger there for much time. The lessons from your past will be applied to ways you can make positive changes in your life moving forward. When considering life coaching, it is best to have already done some inner work on yourself so that you can bring that awareness to your coaching sessions. The more you understand yourself, the more you will be able to listen to your truth and take action in the outside world.
Example situations when a life coach can help:
- I am a high functioning individual who feels held back or stuck in a certain part of my life.
- I have done the work on myself in therapy and have an awareness of how different events in my life have affected the way I operate.
- I am ready to take my life to the next level….i.e., figure out my life purpose, new career, new relationship.
- I am ready and able to take action and want the accountability and support to keep me moving forward.
Example situations when therapy is a better option:
- I am in an abusive relationship and need guidance and support.
- I am battling with an addiction.
- I have uncontrollable emotions and find myself crying on a regular basis.
- I have not resolved childhood trauma.